Not everyone knows that almost any vegetables, fruits and even berries can be fermented according to the same principle.
Common to start the fermentation process in any recipe is the presence of the following ingredients: water, salt, sugar, heat and time. The best containers for fermentation are wooden barrels or glass jars. Water should be taken cooled boiled or distilled.
- Prepare a brine of boiled water and salt (about 1-2 tablespoons of salt per 1 liter; if desired, you can add 1 teaspoon of sugar to speed up fermentation). Leave to cool.
- In a clean (can be sterilized) jar put the vegetables, alternating them with spices.
- Pour the brine so that all the vegetables are covered. If the contents of the jar rises above the brine, you need to put a weight on top.
- Cover with a lid and leave to ferment at room temperature (18-25 °C degrees), away from direct sunlight.
- Open the jar daily to release the gas formed.
- After 3-7 days (depending on the desired flavor) put the jar in the refrigerator.